A Patent Search Report or Patentabity Search Report, in general terms, is a search of already patented/existing patents and other available documents (i.e. prior art). It makes sure that your invention is unique and does not infringe ‘existing’ patents.
Let us first know what a ‘patent’ is.
What is a patent?
- A patent is a form of IP which gives you a right to include/exclude others from using, making or selling your patented invention with/without your permission.
- Rights are given for 20 years from date of filing of patent application.
- The Territorial Right is available only in countries where patent is obtained.
- It is granted for new and non-obvious inventions having utility or industrial applicability.
Why do we need Patent Search?
Broadly, a Patent search is conducted to identify patent documents which are relevant to a subject matter of your interest.
It can be conducted, mainly, because of the following reasons:
- To assess patentability of your invention.
- In order to avoid infringement.
- To define R&D direction etc.
Ease & Value of a Patent Search
- Patent archives are huge repositories of technical information. Whether the patents are still alive or have lapsed due to expiry or non-payment of renewal fees or invalidated. The information which they have to offer cannot be overlooked.
- Information which is not yet available in non-patent literature or as products/technologies in the market may still be there in patent literature.
- Patent Search remains the only source in some cases. For example, to know whether or not every ‘similar’ invention is introduced into the market or published elsewhere.
- Patents are organized and structured documents. Well-defined fields make the search much more effective than search for products, non-patent literature etc.
- Variety of tools and databases, both paid and unpaid, are available today . These tools & Databases make the search easy and accurate.
Patent searches do not undermine the importance of non-patent literature. That is so because both patent and non-patent literature searches have their own specific purposes to serve.
Consequently, these searches are slowly becoming indispensable for all R&D and business related decisions.
Get your Search Done by the Best in the Field!
The Patent Search Firm has a team of highly experienced search experts from virtually all technology areas. It ensures cost-effective and speedy search results.
The company abides by the motto “Excellence in every engagement” and thus promises its clients the best research, and that too hassle-free. So that you take IP and business decisions quickly & confidently.