With the passage of America Invents Act (AIA) it has become very important for firms to set up effective patent monitoring mechanism. Since patents can be challenged even after they are being granted, it is important for companies to keep an eye on their respective domain to stay safe. With AIA, Anyone can challenge a patent within nine months of its issuance under PGR window period. With the Post Grant Review (PGR), a patent can be challenged virtually on any ground like subject-matter ineligibility, availability of existing prior art, (including prior use), for lack of written description, and/or lack of enablement, thus there is a constant need to monitor patents that may have an impact on their patent portfolio.
In other words, patent monitoring aids a company in defining and executing its business strategy in the market place and thus it should be implemented right at the initial stage. Without an in-depth and full-proof patent watch mechanism it would be difficult for them to safeguard their rights.
Mode of Patent Monitoring- Depending on the need, a patent monitoring activity can be undertaken weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or in a specified duration.
Various Elements of a Patent Monitoring Report
One can customize a patent monitoring report. Elements can be added or deleted as per the need of the company. However, there are some essential elements those you can’t ignore. Here are those:
- Patent Prosecution Events of Rejections till date
- Office Actions
- Applicant Actions
- Examiner Behavior
- Family Extension Events
- Family Extension in other Geographies
- IPR/PTAB Decisions
- Sequence Listing (for applications containing disclosures of nucleotide and/or amino acid)
Benefits of Patent Monitoring
- Give regular updates about the latest patents in your preferred field of invention.
- Help clients keep an eye on competitor’s innovations in your field of interest by keeping note of any recent patent filings.
- Let firm identify business opportunities by performing quality analysis of the concerned patents
- Firms know latest developments in the technology
- Help firms watch the Legal Status of desired patent applications
- Enable firms identify abandoned/ rejected/expired patents in a particular domain
- Help firms determine areas of research or analyze the growth in a particular technology.
- Let firms keep a watch on the IP activity of their competitors and their future intent
Patent monitoring is something that can’t be ignored these days as the IP space is witnessing a sharp increase in number of lawsuits. Hence, a minor error in your approach can be bad for your overall goal.
Hire us for an efficient patent watching/monitoring
The Patent search firm has more than 10 years of experience in the IP field. Our team covers possibly every technical domain. Over 1200+ happy clients in 45+ countries. We go through every database in order to deliver precise results . Also, The clients can check the status of the work at any stage of the process. Moreover, 100 % customer satisfaction is our top priority. To know more, Visit our service page