Patent information describes the technical data and legal data associated with patent documents and granted patents. The documents contain information written in a standardized format and categorized according to technical fields to make identifying relevant documents even easier. The information contains a description of the following:
- Functioning of patent
- Claims determining the scope of protection
- Bibliographic data about the inventor and the patent applicant or patent holder
- Related developments in the field of technology
- Legal information such as court statements
Moreover, Patent information proves its worth when a new Invention is bought into the market for the knowledge flow and development of technology. Therefore, you must provide the best relevant data while filing the patent, to simultaneously balance the patent holder rights and the public information disclosure.
Such public disclosures bring awareness among the people about the newly invented technology. Also, they motivate and provide a path for others to develop something much better out of it.
Industrial property offices do these crucial tasks of bringing invention in lime-light.
Also Read: How To Conduct Patent Search: A Quick Guide
Importance of Patent Information
Patent information is a remarkable way to easily access human knowledge. It bears the following pros in the field of research and development:
- Checks the patentability of the applicant’s work domestically or abroad, depending on the applicant’s preference.
- It is a way of recognizing and appreciating the inventor for his/her technical invention on the public platform.
- Serves as a bridge to improve or avoid market niches in existing products or processes.
- It becomes easier to search, understand, and learn about patented inventions in a specific technological field.
- Recognizes patented inventions to ensure that no infringement is taking place.
- Monitors activities of potential partners and competitors both within the country and abroad.
- Helps in developing new licensing strategies by Supporting Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A).
- It is handy to search for the solutions that already exist, whenever you are stuck in a problem related to patent or invention.
- Also, It helps to get in touch with the recent technologies and plan the business strategies accordingly.
- This information also helps to utilize the abandoned and free to use Patents for your benefit.
- While going through the documents, you can also get an estimate of the value of preexisting competitive Patents. This helps to decide the value of your Patent on a successful business view.
Patent Access and Timeline
It takes around 18 months for the national and regional patent office to publish a Patent after the filing date or the grant date. There are two ways to publish the Patent, either through free-of-charge online databases or consecutive meets at the patent offices.
Some relevant examples are:
- WIPO’s PATENTSCOPE database provides a significant amount of free-of-charge online access to international patent applications. However, these applications and documents are filed under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) System. Moreover, the database also covers national and regional patent offices.
- WIPO Patent Information Services (WPIS) provide free-of-charge patent search services for individuals and institutions in developing countries.
- WIPO’s Technology and Innovation Support Centers (TISCs) provides patent information and related services.
- WIPO has started a series of free-of-charge publications related to the subject. It includes searching for technologies and the WIPO Guide to Using Patent Information.
Also Read: A Complete Guide To Patent Novelty Search
Fig. Patentscope Patent Search
Hire us to conduct a patent search ?
The Patent Search Firm has more than 10 years of experience in the IP field. Our team covers possibly every technical domain. Over 1200+ happy clients in 45+ countries. We go through every database in order to deliver precise results . Also, The clients can check the status of the work at any stage of the process. Moreover, 100 % customer satisfaction is our top priority. To know more, Visit our service page